What do I do if my partner suddenly passes away at home?

If under the regular care of a doctor, he or she should be the first point of contact. The doctor will typically sign a medical certificate certifying the cause of death where a death was expected. If the death was unexpected, or if a doctor is not able or willing to sign that medical certificate, the coroner must be advised and this is done through the local police.

What is the difference between a medical certificate & a death certificate?

A “Medical Certificate of Cause of Death” written by a doctor is often referred to as a Death Certificate. This can be useful for a family in the period following a death, but typically the Full Death Certificate from the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages is required for Estate Purposes. Gippsland Funeral Services arrangers will typically order a Full Death Certificate for families and also provide a copy of the Doctor’s Medical Certificate of Cause of Death, or Coroner’s Orders, with the final account.

Can I have the funeral service at my home?

Yes – funeral services can be held in any location as long as the landowner gives permission and any logistical issues are covered off. Gippsland Funeral Services have held funerals in parks, homes, beaches, halls and even bowls clubs and pubs.

What’s the difference between a celebrant and clergy?

Clergy refers to people ordained for religious services such as a Minister, Priest, Pastor, Monk or Rabbi. A Celebrant is a person who leads the service but is not necessarily aligned with any particular religion. Services held in a Church would typically be led by a clergy member nominated by that church. Services held in other spaces, including funeral home chapels, can be led by Clergy, Celebrants or others of the family’s choice including family members and friends.

What do I need to do for Centrelink & Medicare?

There are typically many people and organisations who will need to be contacted following a death, most are not urgent although if Centrelink benefits are being received, it is wise to advise them in a timely manner as excess payments will need to be repaid.
Gippsland Funeral Services can advise Centrelink on your behalf and provide a list of typical organisations that may need to be advised of the death.

How do I change the deceased bank account details?

Speak with the bank. Joint accounts can typically still be used by the surviving account holder. Accounts in the deceased name will typically be “frozen” following advice of the death although these funds can typically be accessed for testamentary costs such as the funeral account.

Can I have pre-arrangements in place of advance of death?

Yes. Prearranging your funeral is typically free of charge and is very helpful to those left behind. Recording your choices surrounding a funeral can be done with the assistance of a Gippsland Funeral Services arranger or using one of our complimentary “Personal and Family Profile” books.

What’s the difference between Funeral Insurance, Funeral Bond, & Pre-paid Funeral?

You can read about the difference by clicking here 

Can I pay off a pre-paid funeral?

Yes. Gippsland Funeral Services can tailor a plan to fit in with your budget whether that be a regular small amount into a funeral bond over a longer period of time, or a pre-paid fixed-price funeral plan paid off over 1, 2 or 3 years.

Can I pay off a funeral account?

Yes – Gippsland Funeral Services recognises that deaths can be unexpected and funds are not always easy to come by to pay for a funeral. We can assist in two ways. Firstly, by advising on ways to keep costs down and secondly by working out ways with you of paying off the funeral at an affordable rate.